Friday, September 30, 2011

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

What catches your heart on fire? This is a good question for many of us to answer. Truth is, something is going to light your heart on fire. Something will ignite a passion in your life. For some, it may be your child(ren), wife, girlfriend, husband, boyfiend, etc etc. For me, it's the look in a student's eyes as they learn about God's Word. That's what lights a fire in my heart. I love it.

Last Sunday, I was teaching a small group of about 10 boys on Acts 7. Our main point in KidzPlayce was standing up for what is right. In Acts 7, Stephen has been arrested based on the false testimonies of others. Stephen did not deny his faith and stood up for his beliefs. As I was talking to the kids about this, they seemed only slightly engaged. Then, I threw them a curveball. I asked one of the boys to read Acts 7:55-56...

55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed steadily into heaven and saw the glory of God, and he saw Jesus standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 56 And he told them, “Look, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand!” Acts 7:55-56 (NLT)

As soon as the boys heard that, many of them started saying "Whoa", "Awesome", and "Cool" . They couldn't believe that Stephen had actually looked up towards Heaven and seen the Risen Savior standing at God's right hand. After that, they wanted to keep learning. They were totally engaged. They all wanted to keep reading. At that moment, I saw a fire in their eyes that I envy at times. They were hungry for what God has to say in His Word.

I know what I'm about to say may seem selfish, but please understand the context in which it is meant. I pray that God would use me right here in Sevier County, TN for the next 10-15 years. I know that God likes to relocate people to introduce them into new environments. But, I want to see what those boys grow up to be in 5-10-15 years. I want to be able to walk with those boys for as long as they'll let me. I've seen a fire in those boys that's just unbelievable. I look forward to talking with those boys every Sunday. Those boys will need more guidance than anyone before them to deal with what the world throws at them.

So, I'll ask again...What catches your heart on fire?

Emirembe,

Adam Farragut

No comments:

Post a Comment