Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Throat Punch

I've decided to become very familiar with the word Gillulim in 2014. This Hebrew word is translated into "idol" or "idolatry" in the Bible and appears 48 times in the OT (mostly in the Book of Ezekiel).

Here's the interesting piece:
Gillulim does not refer to carved images of gods, golden calves, or any other false gods. Gillulim doesn't refer to the act of bowing down to a statue (there are several other Hebrew & Greek words translated for those English words). In terms of those definitions of idols, most Christians would say they've got that covered. They can check that off the list.

However, when we know the definition of gillulim, we are challenged a little more. Gillulim can be translated as small, round pellets of….poop.

No, seriously. Search for gillulim in Google if you don't believe me.

God warned His people 48 times in the OT of worshiping…..…poop.

So now we have to answer some obvious questions.


  • What poop am I worshiping?
  • I see simple electronics (iPhone, laptop, video games, etc). But, does God see that as poop?
  • What poop is standing in my way of growing with Christ? 
    • Greed?
    • Lust?
    • Envy?
    • Evil speech? 


The answers to those questions can be anything that consumes your time and prevents you from spending your time worshiping God. What is riding shotgun in your life and pushing God to the backseat.

So my 2014 goal is to remove the POOP out of my life so I can continue to grow in Christ. Will you join me?

P.S. Who knew someone could type poop so many times in a blog post….? I win!

ALF

No comments:

Post a Comment